sabato 4 gennaio 2014

A new project! The SquawkerOne.


After the Edgar project (sooner or later I will publish it), a three way closed box inspired by the theories of Edgar Villchur and Roy Cizek, after the Barbieri Homage, a project derived from a bass reflex audio kit published by the Italian magazine Suono and designed by the well appreciated Mr. Gian Piero Matarazzo, named Deymos, and finally after the horn design of the LBH, my mind was elucubrating...no no, sorry, slobby mode on: my mind was mumbling around the possibility to build a transmission line.
Then, being still in love with horns and being in possess of two pieces of art from an artist of the past, I decided to face another three way full horn system.
So this time I will not start from a given design and develop it, instead I will start from a given result of a project, but completely forgot somewhere in the past, and try to complete it with a reverse engineering approach.
First, the bass horns.
These were bought by my brother in the '70s, in a shop near my city.
They were part of a design realised by a real master of wood working, the late Mr. Michelangelo dalla Fontana, an ebanist with the passion for hifi. So much passionate, that if you own an old solid wood model of speaker from the well respected Company Chario, you are probably owning a box made by Mr. dalla Fontana's nephew, Vlady.
Now, I really tried to figure out which design was the base for this cornerhorn. The most similar one I found is a project from Germany, the Eckhorn, but it's not exactly the same:

It seems like a Klipschorn with one folding less, the waves go back and forth three times on the same axis, and because of the shorter path I assumed the lower cut-off could have been around 70 Hz or so.
Well, this is not the case. I have measured this bass in my room, using the very same woofer of the LBHs, and I will post the results.
But, to make long things short, it is necessary to find a suitable woofer.
I have studied a lot of possible candidates, at the end I decided to go for an Italian woofer:
Italians do it better, don't they?...
I opted for the Neodimium version of this beast, although the Ferrite version had a higher EBP, but it's a long time I wanted to try a neo woofer, so here we are. I like especially the lack of peacking on the higher frequencies, that could lead on an easier low pass filtering if I will go passive (in audio it's my preferred option...)
Now, a couple of "before" pics of the woofer's horns...

 Just arrived...

Here you can see how the throat is made. That wood spacer must be taken into account, as it  probably works as a front loading chamber, considering also the volume of air of a 15" cone...






And here you can see that a woofer was already mounted, with some sort of internal volume chamber that was ripped off, maybe to be able to remove the speakers... 
I like this slobby procedure!
Definitely not from Dalla Fontana's work!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento